
Today was HUGE for Curtis! We started out this morning with his physical therapy session. He was very alert and energetic today, and before the therapist started working with him, he was interested in pulling his body forward to sit up straight and also to slowly roll himself several feet across the room with his feet touching the floor as he sat in his wheelchair waiting for his appointment.
The therapist wanted to try him standing today, and rolled his wheel chair onto the walking plank which had the bars for him to hold onto. With the help of the therapist, Curtis pulled up to the standing position. He worked to get himself balanced while he held on tight. We were so pleased with him already at that point! But you know what? Curtis had a plan! And that plan was to walk! So before we knew it, he moved his right foot forward and took his first step! It was totally unexpected and the therapist had not even asked Curt to do that! Then, he re-balanced and took his next step with his left foot! I can't tell you how thrilled we all were with this accomplishment.
And then....later this afternoon, Curtis' speech therapist came to work with him. He brought ice chips to practice his swallowing technique, but then decided to switch to lemon-sweetened ice chips which helps promote a quicker swallow. After several swallows of these ice chips, Curtis started to clear his throat. He cleared his throat about ten times. Then Bob asked Curtis if he could clear his throat and make an 'a' sound at the same time. So Curtis did just that. He cleared his throat and made the 'a' sound. Then Bob asked him to make an 'e' sound. So Curtis cleared his throat and made the 'e' sound! Then an 'o' sound. Then Bob held up one finger and asked Curtis to say one. He did. Bob stuck up 2 fingers and Curtis said "two". Then showed him 3 and he said "three"!
I was so happy to hear Curtis' voice and to see how responsive he was being to these suggestions. Then Bob asked Curtis if he could say "Mom" and then "Renee" and then "Bob"! He spoke all these words. He even counted again when asked, this time one, two, three, four and five. Later, Bob prompted Curtis to say "la" and then finally, Bob asked Curt if he could say "Elaine". Of course Curtis did!Even after all this activity, he still had energy to practice pulling himself to sitting upright, even from the position of lying down. He prompted many of his own movements and was able to roll himself to his side by pulling with his arm. I can definitely tell how ready Curt is for getting on the move soon!
Renee
4 comments:
Wow! The progress Curtis has made is fantastic! Please tell him that I think about him and pray for him daily. He is doing such a great job!
God bless,
Johnnie Yocham Carter
There was no question in my mind that Curtis would soon speak. As long as there was breath in him, Curt would speak. (I can say that as one talker to another). It is so encouraging to see how resolved he is to do certain things. Being resolved to accomplish a goal...that is the Curtis I know. Seeing these pictures and reading the updates makes me ache to come out and shake Curt's hand for myself. For now I will just continue to send prayers. Love ya Curt.
Ryan Purtell
I'm so excited about Curtis' recovery! I can't believe it's been so long since we've visited him. It's kind of just like the dream I had when he was in his coma: I saw him and he was alert and awake, and I was like, "hey, how come you didn't tell me you had woken up?"
anyway, i hope to see him soon. I've been praying for Curtis 1-2x/day. I'm really happy for him and his family. I love you Curtis!!! You're the best.....I can't wait to tell u some jokes...
This is such good news. I was close to Tammy, Rene and Curtis at Glen Rose High School but it was no secret that Curtis was my favorite. He'll pull through this!!!
Love and prayers,
Martin Yarborough
Post a Comment