I had alot of updates to give after my visit last weekend, but because of my schedule I didn't have much time to update you all. So now that I have been out another time this weekend...I get to give you some older and some newer...news!
When I was in LA on the 8th, I finally did get to ask the physician if Curtis is still emerging from his coma or if he is considered out of his coma? The doctor did say that Curtis is fully out of his coma. Of course we could have guessed that he was, but it was good to have the professional confirmation as well.
Curtis is receiving alot of therapies now; he has PT and OT five times a week and speech therapy three times a week. He is completely off of supplemental oxygen and even has a trach piece which will allow air to pass over the vocal cords when he exhales. He has begun to nod his head 'yes' and shake his head 'no' to answer our questions.
When I was there Saturday, I saw Tammy brush Curtis' teeth for him. She then put the toothbrush in Curtis' hand and ask him to do it. I watched Curtis lift the toothbrush up and put it in his mouth!
Elaine told me that Curtis also was able to use a Q-tip. She handed him a Q-tip and he held it between his fingers and looked at it, then he rolled it between his fingers. He put the Q-tip in his left ear and rolled it in his ear!
We are encouraging Curtis to swallow consistently, and so Tam bought him some lollipops on Sunday. She offered him one and he opened his mouth and stuck out his tongue for her. When she asked him to hold it, he was able to hold onto the lollipop and even put it in his mouth. Of course he has to be so funny in all that he does, so he just left the lollipop hanging from his mouth and put his hand back down in his lap.
Last weekend, as we were about to leave, Sean asked Curtis to give him a good bye handshake. Curtis lifted his hand off of his leg, straightened his fingers and extended his arm forward to reach for Sean's hand and shake it. He gave great handshakes also to his friends Trent and Rhett this weekend and even showed his occupational therapist today!
Also last weekend, Curtis and I were playing "Go Fish" with Tammy and Patrick. It was down to the last pair, and Tam asked if we had a two. Of course, Curt was holding the final card which was now supposed to be Tam's, but as she reached for it to take it from his hand, he wouldn't let go of his final card. So she said, "Okay, Curt, this last pair will be yours if you can reach out and take my card from my hand." Without letting go of his card which was held between his thumb and index finger, he lifted his hand and reached out to take Tammy's card, putting it between his index and middle fingers! Now he was holding both cards! This was such a true demonstration of some good motor skills!!
Elaine told me another amazing story of Curtis' motor skills. Tammy had handed Curtis two guitar picks, one he held in his left hand and one in his right hand. He looked at them for a while and then he lifted the one in his left hand up to his mouth and put it between his teeth. He did this so he could free up his left hand to scratch his nose! So he scratched his nose with his left hand and then retrieved the pick from his teeth again and proceeded to hold a pick in each hand :)
Curtis has had many visitors and we all appreciate it so much. Many of you have brought your guitars and voices, and it has been enjoyed. I can see how intently Curtis watches the chord hand during the playing, and I just think he is practicing his skill with each of you. It is so good for him! Thanks to all for the visits out to French Park, and thanks to all who are there in spirit sending Curt your thoughts and prayers.
I know this post has been a bit overdue, but I hope the good news within brings you a smile :)
Renee
8/18/08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment