Hello all:
(Forgive this long posting. This is a request to have me share the message to schools AND I'M OFFERING TO DO THIS FOR FREE TO SCHOOLS. Please read on.)
It's been a while since I've done this. My last posting was Dec 18, 2011, so OVER 3 months ago! But, I'm glad to be doing this again.
First of all, after my rehabilitation time (6 months at Pate Rehabiliation in Anna, Texas) I have given over FIFTY speeches. That is, over 50 times I shared with people -- and, mostly with youth -- why THEY DO NOT WANT to take the risk that led me to a horrible state -- FOR SEVERAL YEARS.
And, again let me say this -- BECAUSE I WANT MY STORY TO HELP OTHER PEOPLE: I had a problem with 'substance abuse' AKA 'chemical dependency' AKA drugs and it took me not weeks, not months, but literally YEARS to get to the point where I sobered up. This was such a demon for me. But, today I've had the demon behind me for 3 years, 9 months, and 8 days. And, truly, for the first several MONTHS of sobriety (well, over 1 year, actually -- which is HARD TO CONFESS), I was in the hospital and rehabilitation. So, 'sobering up' was EASY in that situation, right?
Hardly -- it's the HARDEST THING I have ever been through -- AND the hardest thing that ANYONE ELSE would also have to go through.
Now, I've seen FIRST HAND that sharing this message IS HELPING young people. See, a young person always hears "no drugs" from their teachers, their parents, and the 'officials' -- like the Dr.'s -- so they don't go down this road. But, my story CAN help shape the youth's minds toward this issue. I mean this so intensely -- I WANT TO KEEP THEM FROM TRYING anything.
Another trouble with young people is that their body is so agile still that THEY CAN RECOVER from a drunkeness or a high EASILY. So, they don't experience the same detriment that older people do. So, they might think it doesn't apply to them personally. But, THEY WILL ALSO AGE if they've already developed the BEHAVIOR where 'it's ok to drink something or use something' then it WILL catch up with them. I know this FIRST HAND.
So, all that's being said because I want to share this: when I speak to youth groups, I ask for a fee of $500. I've also asked for that fee from high schools. I NEVER want a fee from a church, because after my accident I'm a strong believer now. But, I know that high schools have limited budgets AND I've seen SO MUCH receipt of my message by the high school students. So, no longer do I ask for a fee from a high school. Sure, I do desire travel to be supported so it doesn't cost me, BUT I have no desire to take money from the high school. It's much more important to me to share the message and INFLUENCE THE YOUTH. So, the fee is not 'required' to get me to share the message. I believe this is MY LIFE'S PURPOSE, so I want to influence EVERYONE I can to not go down this road.
So, I have no marketing 'schtik' really, BUT for anyone who reads this -- can you please help me speak to the high schools so that the students, too, MAKE THE CHOICE TO BE SOBER -- like I'm making the choice to be sober now. I am free on Tue and Thu from college this semester and completely open over the summer. I can also miss some class if I schedule it around my tests.
And, also, I'll say this so that you know I'm VERY SERIOUS about this. I'm going back to college now to be a LCDC -- Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor. My sobriety is my NUMBER 1 priority. I give God credit (and thank Him) for getting me through all of this. And, for schools I don't confuse the drug issue talking about Christ because I BELIEVE THAT GOD WANTS ME TO INFLUENCE THEM TO STAY SOBER so that they can listen to Him later. So, know it's an important part to me personallly, BUT I DO NOT talk about it at a school unless the school asks me to.
Thank you for reading this entire Blog Posting. -- Curtis
No comments:
Post a Comment