7/20/08

7/15/08 - Tammy

On Tuesday July 15 Curtis was very quiet and did not open his eyes very much. There was a time however where I sat with him quietly holding his right hand in mine and he began to squeeze my hand very tightly (up till now it has been his left hand that all movement had come from). In addition to the squeezing he was moving his head slightly, so I asked him to open his eyes, he did not. He began to move the fingers on his left hand still squeezing my hand with his right when I asked him, “Curtis can you hear me if so point your finger”, he did! Then he sat still for a while and I said, “Okay Curtis let’s try that again, can you hear me?” Again he pointed his finger! To this I began to cry and pressed my cheek to his cheek tears were running on his face then I asked would you like me to stop crying? And he pointed his finger! I told him I was so happy! Then in my excitement I told him let’s play a game, I will ask you questions and if the answer is yes point your finger if the answer is no curl your finger. I asked do you like coffee. No response. Then I asked do you like popcorn? No response. So I thought, hum… then I asked do you want to play this game. And he curled his finger!!!

On Wednesday his eyes were open a good part of the day. The occupational therapist and the physical therapist came to visit him and they encouraged us so much! It was so good to hear them talk to Curtis and we could see their heart is to help him. I am so very thankful for the caring staff Curtis has at his care center.

On Thursday Curtis was put in a Gerry chair so that he could attend a group activity. Elaine and Curtis went to music therapy!

I came home on Thursday and it is very hard not being there with Curtis. But Mom, Elaine, Sarah and this weekend Renee have been there – if love alone can pull him through he is well on his way!

Thanks for the prayers, thoughts, calls, emails and visits – Curtis needs you and you all mean more to us than you can know!

Love,
Tammy

3 comments:

Aunt Jot said...

Tammy, this is wonderful news to hear that Curtis is responding to your voice and your suggestions. We know that he is hearing and understanding what you are saying to him. He knows that he is loved and we all need him to get better soon. God does answer prayers, and Curtis must have his own special angel looking over him. He will get through this.
Love,
Aunt Jot

Anonymous said...

This message is for the whole family. We are so happy and know that Curtis is in God's hands. Our prays go out for y'all and special ones for Curtis. Please pass on to Ms. Linda that if she needs anything done just give us a holler and also please keep an eye on her too. Thanks Sherry Ross

Tracia said...

Tammy, thanks for letting me know about this blog. As I read all that has happened to Curtis I tear up and remember our time as children. I remember how your family was so close. You were there for each other and would do anything for one another (your mother would never allow it any other way). You all were always there for others as well. Anyone who has met your family is blessed by seeing the love you all show for one another. Your family has such a bond that I know that you are right when you say, "that love will pull all of you through this time." Tammy I pray for all of you and for each day a healing day for Curtis.

Sincerely,
Tracia Conte