2/7/14

Who Are You in Substance Abuse Treatment For?

     I'm very thankful for the many things that I have in my life.  I'm very happy about what the future has in store.

    Currently, I'm doing my LCDC Internship at MHMR Tarrant County.  I'll be here for a while, and I've got quite a few more hours to go on the Internship to assure that I'm ready to be a counselor.  It's helping tremendously as I work with clients who are struggling with the same problem that I had for years.

    I know that me sharing my own personal struggles encourages them to move forward because they know that they, too, can also improve.

     Another thing about treatment is that there are many people who don't see THE REAL NEED for them to be there.  They are there because of the law, or because of their employer, or because of their family.  I can relate to them because there was a time when I was in treatment because of the law AND there was a time when I was in treatment because of my family AND there was a time when I was in treatment because of my employer.

     And, make sure you understand that THOSE TIMES WERE SEPARATE.  I did NOT go into treatment because those three wanted it at the same time, I WENT INTO TREATMENT MULTIPLE TIMES for multiple different parties.

     And, when it really worked, by the way, was when I FULLY ACCEPTED THAT IT WAS UP TO ME to get better.  I, Curtis, went into treatment for me, Curtis.

     Regardless of what caused my clients to walk through the door, they each have a choice for WHO they're going to do the work for THAT THEY LEARN OF while in treatment.  They need to realize that they are there FOR THEMSELVES.  Not for the law, not for CPS, not for their family, not for their work, but FOR THEM-SELF.

     I want to encourage them to make the right decisions for themselves.  They are in substance use treatment for THEM and ONLY for them.  No one else can learn what they can learn.  Not the family, not the employer, not legal world:  only THEM-SELF.

You are in substance abuse treatment for yourself.

No comments: