2/10/13

We All Have Something to Share

    My latest profile status on Facebook has what I learned in my new apartment and I want to share with others.  The link is here:  Curtis Childers Facebook Profile and the update I'm referring to is the most current today (Feb 8, 2013).  (When you follow this link, you have to log in to your account to see what I wrote.  If you don't have a Facebook login, you can just continue with this blog.)

    That is an attempt at make light of my life situation -- as you can see if you watch it. :-)

    One of the things that I now do is present to youth about why they don't want to make the same mistakes that I made.  My story is this:  I used to think that doing marijuana was 'no big deal' and that marijuana should be legal.  However, the marijuana induced state-of-mind encouraged me to try other drugs.  I did this for years.

    This led to worse and worse behavior and trying worse and worse things.  Eventually, I was introduced to and immediately addicted to crack-cocaine.  This had a major impact on my life; I had to go to treatment several times, I had a 'Interventions' where people tried to help me -- some from friends in Texas some from friends in Los Angeles, California, where I lived.  But I couldn't clean up.

    Evenutally the crack use led to a horrible accident.  That story is shared here in this video completed by the Texas FFA Orgnization:  Texas FFA Video about Curtis Becoming Clean From Drugs.

    So, my purpose in writing this today is to let you know, of course, that I want to share my story with others.  But, more importantly, it's to let you know that YOU reading this (and, yes, this isn't a general 'you' that means everyone, I mean YOU) have something to share.  We don't live life alone.  We need people -- we need our family and our friends.  And, what I want you to know even more is that your family and friends NEED YOU.

    So, call them, see them, tell them you love them, tell them what good things are happening in your life, talk about the struggles in life.  You're worth them their connection to you.  You deserve their honest affection for you.  Everyone has something to ... no, more accurately, I'll say it this was:  YOU have something to share.

No comments: