
I haven't been to California since 7/23/08, but I'm posting for those folks that are there now. I talked to Tammy earlier this week, and she had a remarkable story for me. The speech therapist had come in the room to see another patient and happened to see Curtis with his eyes wide open. He stopped to talk to Curtis. He asked Curtis to blink and Curtis did. He asked Curtis to blink twice and Curtis did! Then he asked Curtis to stick out his tongue. Curtis tried - his forehead wrinkled like he was exerting to try it - then the speech therapist told him to relax. He did. The speech therapist again asked him to stick out his tongue and again he attempted it; his forehead wrinkled like he was trying even though he couldn't stick it out. The therapist was encouraged and felt that it wouldn't be too long before Curtis could start some speech therapy!
Renee and Sean arrived back in California today. I talked to Renee, and she said Curtis was outside in a wheelchair when they got there. When I was there, we would take him down in a geri chair (more of a reclining chair), but now he has been upgraded to a wheelchair! She said he was very alert and aware the whole time they visited. During their visit, Curtis raised his hand up to his face on several different occasions to scratch his face, rub his forehead, etc.
Sean and Renee brought a white board so they could write Curtis notes. They wrote several things on the board, and Curtis would look at the board and appear to be reading. When something funny was written on the board, Curtis would smile!! Then, Sean put the marker in Curtis' hand and asked him to write something. Curtis made a mark on the board! Renee said Curtis also made several expressions throughout the visit that are typical "Curtis expressions".
Also, Mother was with Curtis for his physical therapy today, and it was very encouraging. The physical therapist asked Curtis to move his leg. Mother said Curtis appeared to be concentrating hard to do it (he would rub his forehead with his hand). Then, he moved his leg. The physical therapist told Curtis, "that is great, I want you to do that 5 times." With the physical therapist's coaching, Curtis did just that - moved his leg 5 times!!
AND - yesterday I received an email from Elaine with this picture posted here. I could not believe how absolutely AWESOME Curtis looks. Then to top it off, I hear these stories I just shared!! Curtis has progressed SO much in just the little over 2 weeks I've been away. It is truly remarkable - yea God! Tomorrow night Jeff, Seth and I fly back out for a 4 day visit. I just can't wait to visit with Curtis again! :) Sarah
3 comments:
Curt, it is great to see you! You look great buddy. Looking forward to seeing you in a few days. I am sure your family has already told you, but Travis Hagen and I will be there for a visit on Sunday and Monday the 17th and 18th of August. We will have guitars in hand, a ton of stories and pics of the family to share. See you soon, buddy!
We are all pulling for you in Glen Rose. You are in thoughts and prayers daily. We believe in you.
Margie
We are so proud of you Curt! We know that the power of prayer is strong and see it working through you. Can't wait to read all the encouraging updates. We love you and think of you always.
Keep up the good work! You all are an awesome family.
Love~ Mike, Janna and kids
Post a Comment